POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : creating heightfields from contour maps : Re: creating heightfields from contour maps Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: creating heightfields from contour maps
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 12 Aug 1998 19:25:48
Message: <35D21679.AD96E720@flash.net>
Adrian Pederson wrote:

> I guess I should clarify my last point, i'm aware that changing the
> vertical scaling will have a direct effect on the slope. What I'm trying
> to do is create a smoothly contoured gradiant over large odd shaped areas
> in the heightfield image. It would be nice to do this in a somewhat direct
> way, rather than by going through a multiple trial and error filtering
> process.
>
> Adrian Pederson

This function (constraining the height field boundary conditions
over contours and/or regions of finite area) would be extremely
useful for more than links.  There are many examples.

One would be a road winding along a hillside.  It would
be nice to be able to specify the road, then to have the
landscape generator fill in a terrain which smoothly matches
the edge of the road.  Of course, this is backwards from nature,
where the roadbuilders must deal with the hill they are given.
But it would be good for generating scenes.

I can imagine algorithms which might do a credible job at this.
The easiest implementation may be to manipulate tga files using
PERL -- the format is straightforward and PERL does a nice job
with file I/O.  It does takes a bit of work to learn, though.

But then, it's probably already been done -- I also am interested on
hearing of implementations.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/